Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Weekly Wrap - 9/3

First off, let me say that I have quite a few friends who blog - many more regularly than me. I've been following one for quite some time (http://www.weirdunsocializedhomeschoolers.com/) - I appreciate who she is and what she's about.


With that said, I'm, starting this schoolyear off with hopes of blogging regularly. I'm still trying to brainstorm and decide on a schedule/rotation of topics/focus. I DO know that I want to do a Weekly Wrap-up of our schoolweek, so here's the first one:




MONDAY - our first day of school:

We took a "field trip" to the Great Minnesota Get-Together, the State Fair. Ben put some 20,000 steps on his pedometer, while Anna only made 10,000-something (I think it's mostly due to where they both wear their pedometers - pocket or waistband). Ben was glad to be able to do some "art appreciation" exploring the Fine Arts building, thus allowing him to skip art later this week. My personal favorite was "bumping into" (orchestrated, of course) my cousin Sara and her family, and visiting awhile.

Made from thousands (or more) of address label stickers.





Monday was a long day, and we got home late, so...

TUESDAY was our first real day of school:

We were tired. We all slept in. We tried to get things kicked off in a normal manner. Anna had Choir over at SCCS, so that HAD to be done...



WEDNESDAY:

Ben and I again got up early - this time to help a teacher-friend of mine set up his classroom. We spent over 5 hours rolling tape/putting up posters, etc. When we got back in to town, I dropped Ben off and picked Anna up - to go take care of Steph's daycare while she went to an appointment. Anna had Youth Group that night. I just went to bed!



THURSDAY:

The most normal day of the week. We had to triage what was getting done and what was not. One thing I am trying to do better this year is Science labs. It's a lot more work pulling everything together, but oh-so valuable.

Density in Nature

Atomic Motion


FRIDAY:

This was scheduled to be a "day off", but with missing Monday and our crazy week, we used it to catch up. Ben had to get his stuff done in the morning because he had plans to go overnight with his aunt Nancy - she was picking him up and taking him away after lunch. After he was gone, Anna came with and helped me get ALL the grocery-shopping done (so I didn't have to finish Saturday morning).


One thing I've been quite impressed with this week is my daughter just plugging away and getting her work done BEFORE taking a break. Last year, she put off what she didn't want to do, often until late at night. This year, she's sticking with it and getting it done. I'm proud of her!